Since 2005, the USATF Foundation Youth Hammer Throw Grants Program has been dedicated to helping young hammer throwers across the country obtain the resources they need to succeed. Thanks to generous donations from supporters of the hammer throw, the program has awarded more than $39,000 to 86 youth hammer throwers (43 boys and 43 girls) with awards ranging from $100 to $1,000. The monetary amounts and number of grants awarded are determined by the available balance in the USATF Foundation Youth Hammer Fund and the decision of the grants committee.
Please thoroughly read the instructions below before submitting an application.
Eligibility – Applicants must meet the following criteria. Applications from athletes that do not meet the following criteria will not be considered:
- United States citizenship and eligible to represent the United States in international competition.
- Male or female athletes born in 1997 or after.
- Competitor training in hammer throwing having competed in at least one competition.
- Registered USATF youth athlete.
- Application must be submitted before November 30, 2014.
The grant recipients’ award funds will remain in the USATF Youth Hammer Throw Fund and are only distributed in the form of reimbursements up to the amount of the award. Each grantee will receive specific procedural instructions for accessing grant funds with the grant award notification. Reimbursement requests must be for one of the following training categories:
- Training equipment: competitive hammers, training hammers, wires, handles, throwing gloves, puds, throwing weights, hammer throwing shoes.
- Travel, lodging, and meals for participating in competitions where the athlete competes in the hammer throw or weight throw.
- Registration costs for participating in a clinic or camp where hammer throwing coaching is provided.
- Entry fees for hammer throw/weight throw competitions.
- Costs for the purchase of hammer throwing instructional digital or printed media.
Coaching Fees or Club Registration Fees Will Not Be Reimbursed.